It's a curse! 1 tank, 2 tanks, 3 tanks, more... a bit like potatoes really
I can't help myself, I promised myself I would stick to a single line of Metal Blue Grass that was a month ago and now I have 7 tanks plus a show tank in my dining room and lounge. So I've decided to build an aquarium for my breeding programme.
And finally late May 2018 I sawed my first bit of timber and hammered my first nail... I haven't managed to get too far because finances are tight but it's a start. Over the coming weeks I will post the progress and blog here and there.
Dimensions are 3m x 1.8m x 2.4m LWH designed for around 40 20L tanks.
It doesn't look like much right now but eh it's started. Yes that's my son already filling the blank space with junk... his old PC!
Today I managed the wall frames. I don't have a lot of space available so it was always going to be tight. at 1800 side to side means I have around 700 space between the tanks, that's not a lot of wriggle room.
None the less it's taking shape and I may just re-think how many tanks I work with. Heaven forbid narrow down my breeding lines! Putting the tanks with the fronts facing out I gain about 200 but reduce the total tanks to about 36 or so. Maybe that's workable.
I've insulated behind the plasterboard, It's too late now but I left off the internal angle... I'll probably undo the edge plaster screws and retrofit next session. I've lowered the height by 90mm, run the electric wires and my nephew the electrician will fit off for me. The room will be fully insulated and behind the plaster is heavy wool insulation. It gets below 0°C in winter and over 45°C in summer and hotter than that in the garage so keeping the room cool will also require an aircon.
This weekend I NEED to finish this tank room. I have some fish arriving and I will need somewhere to put them so I am going hell bent for leather to complete this project. My 18 year old son has his mate around so maybe I'll get some help too.
By mid morning I had hung all the dry wall and the doors. Now I just need to stop up... it will be a "rough and ready" job but I don't need it to be pretty just functional. I'll do a rough plaster job, slap on some paint, install the racking and start to set up the tanks.... lets see how we go.
Somewhat of a miracle I've pretty much finished the project off, there is only really the fun stuff left to do. Don't look too closely as it's pretty rough, but really it's a room in the shed that has to function and doesn't need to look too great.
I still need to insulate and clad the outside walls and ceiling although I'm not in a hurry to do this, I have the materials and I want the aircon and light installed prior to cladding the outside.
You will notice on the bottom rack I have two front rails, this allows for 20L and 16L tanks and in fact 45L tanks such as the old tank in the back corner. I typically cull aggressively so can get away with 20L grow out tanks and will use the 16L for trio tanks. I also keep bare tanks as I do a 10 to 20% water change every week and this helps keep them clean.
I managed to get some cheap paint from Bunnings (wrongly mixed non returnable) but after painting all the walls the blue colour I felt it was too dark so I painted over the top with the off white/pink colour to lighten it up... it's not perfect but the roughness kinda makes it cozy in it's own way.
Overall I am happy with where I am at, it's a lot smaller than I had in mind however there is room for 36 20L tanks in total and I can run a double rail of about 24 16L tanks on the right hand wall at a later stage and still have decent space (i'll try to resist though). I can effectively run about 6 to 8 lines with the current tank space(36 20l tanks) and frankly that's enough. Right now I am running 7 lines so lets see how I go.
Talk about dedication!
Hope you've enjoyed getting the snippets of this project.